The market town of Abingdon was a municipal borough in north Berkshire, lying twenty-five miles northwest of Reading, and six miles south of Oxford at the confluence of the Rivers Ock and Thames, at the eastern edge of the Vale of White Horse. The parish of St Helen included the townships of Dry Sandford and Shippon (and at one time Drayton and Radley), and the hamlets of Barton, Cholswell and Northcourt, all outside the borough limits. The soil is loamy and clay. There was a weekly market and eight fairs annually.
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.1-3.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 10