Aldermaston lies ten miles southwest of Reading and nine miles southeast of Newbury. It is on the main road from Reading and the River Kennet, and the Kennet and Avon Canal passes through the parish. The soil is clay and alluvium. Over a third of the land was woodland, about a quarter permanent pasture and slightly less arable. There was a market (until c.1800).
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.3-4.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 44