Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Appleton

Appleton lies five and a half miles east of Abingdon. The River Thames forms the western boundary. The parish included the hamlet of Eaton. The soil is heavy clay and loam. Just under half the land was arable, a little less permanent grass, with small amounts of woodland and water.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) p.6.


Acreage: 2077
Population 1801: 341
  1831: 441
  1861: 549

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 5, 6

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Appleton (1831) - Ref: Q/RDC/56A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Appleton (1831) - Ref: Q/RDC/56B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 18/10/2017.