Brightwell lies two miles northwest of Wallingford. The parish included the hamlet of Mackney. It is on the main road from Wallingford to Abingdon. The soil is sandy loam. More than half the land was arable, more than a quarter grass and a small amount woodland.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.28-29.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 16