Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Brimpton

Brimpton lies six and a half miles east of Newbury. The River Kennet forms the northern boundary and it is on the main road from Newbury to Silchester, Hampshire. The land is mainly gravel, with some clay, alluvium and peat. Nearly half the land was permanent grass, less than a third arable and a small amount woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.29-31.


Acreage: 1705
Population 1801: 330
  1831: 443
  1861: 462

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 43, 44

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Brimpton (1815) - Ref: Q/RDC/8A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Brimpton (1815) - Ref: Q/RDC/8B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 18/11/2017.