The small village of Burghfield lies five miles southwest of Reading. The parish included the hamlets of Burghfield Common, Pingewood and Sheffield Bottom. It is on the road to Reading, and the River Kennet and the Kennet and Avon Canal pass through. The soil is clay. Just under half the land was permanent pasture, just over a quarter arable, and a small amount woodland.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.34-35.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 36, 37, 44, 45