Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Chilton

Chilton lies about seven miles from Wantage on the Downs in west Berkshire. It is off the main road from Newbury to Abingdon. The soil is chalk and light gravel. Approximately two thirds of the land was arable, a fifth permanent grass and a small amount woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.42-43.


Acreage: 1448
Population 1801: 244
  1831: 274
  1861: 315

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 15, 21

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Chilton (1840) - Ref: Q/RDC/25A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Chilton (1840) - Ref: Q/RDC/25B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 26/03/2017.