Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Clewer

Clewer lies immediately west of Windsor. It is on the River Thames, and the main roads to Reading and from Windsor to Maidenhead. The soil is clay and gravel. Approximately three quarters of the land was permanent grass, the remainder being two thirds arable and one third woodland and plantation.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.44-46.


Acreage: 1666
Population 1801: 1695
  1831: 3011
  1861: 5418

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 31, 32, 39, 40

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Clewer (1817. See also Windsor Forest) - Ref: Q/RDC/52A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Clewer (1817. See also Windsor Forest) - Ref: Q/RDC/52B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 26/06/2017.