Drayton lies two and a half miles southwest of Abingdon. Until 1867 it was a chapelry of Abingdon St Helen. It is on the road from Abingdon to Newbury and a road connecting with the main road from Wantage to Oxford, and the Wilts and Berks Canal ran through. The soil is heavy clay and loam. Nearly half the land was arable, one sixth permanent grass and a small amount of woodland. See also Abingdon for details.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.1-3.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 9, 10, 15
Drayton (See Abingdon)