The small straggling village of Englefield lies seven miles west of Reading, in west Berkshire. The Rivers Pang and Kennet, and the Kennet and Avon Canal form some of the boundaries. The soil is clay, chalk and alluvium. About half the land was permanent grass, just under half arable, and a small amount was woodland. There was a single landowner.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.61-63. Leigh, A.K., 'The Enclosure of the parish of Englefield, 1760-1830' (B.A. thesis, Dept of Economic & Social History, Univeristy of Nottingham, 1973); Dils, J., 'Englefield Inclosure' (Reading Teachers Centre, 1983).
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 36