Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Finchampstead

Finchampstead lies four miles southwest of Wokingham, in Windsor Forest. It is on the River Blackwater. The soil is mainly sand and clay. Nearly half the land was woodland, with a quarter being arable and a quarter permanent grass. There was an annual fair.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.68-69.


Acreage: 3943
Population 1801: 463
  1831: 575
  1861: 637

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 46

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Finchampstead (1817) - Ref: D/P56/26A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Finchampstead (1817) - Ref: D/P56/26B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 28/03/2017.