Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Greenham

The large village of Greenham was a chapelry of Thatcham parish, a mile and a half south of, and effectively a suburb of, the town of Newbury. The River Kennet forms the northern boundary and the River Enborne part of the southern boundary, and the road from Newbury to Reading passes through. The soil is clay. About a quarter of the land was permanent grass, with small amounts of woodland and arable.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.162-165.


Acreage: 2564
Population 1801: 633
  1831: 1061
  1861: 1167

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 43

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Greenham (See Thatcham)

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 23/04/2017.