The small village of Hampstead Norreys lies seven miles northeast of Newbury, in west Berkshire. The extensive parish included the hamlets of Bothampstead, Eling, Hermitage, Little Hungerford, Langley, Wellhouse and Worlds End. It is on the main road from Newbury to Oxford, and the River Pang. The soil is varied, a mixture of chalk, clay, sand and gravel. More than half the land was arable, the remainder being half permanent grass and half woodland.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.75-77.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 27, 35