Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Hamstead Marshall

The village and small parish of Hamstead Marshall lies four miles southwest of Newbury, in west Berkshire. It is on the River Kennet and the Kennet and Avon Canal. The soil is mostly heavy clay with some sand and gravel. Just under a third of the land was permanent grass, one sixth woodland and a little less arable.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.74-75.


Acreage: 1852
Population 1801: 271
  1831: 313
  1861: 299

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 34, 42

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Hamstead Marshall (1815) - Ref: Q/RDC/15A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Hamstead Marshall (1815) - Ref: Q/RDC/15B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 28/03/2017.