Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Hendred, East

East Hendred lies four and a half miles northeast of Wantage, near the Vale of White Horse. The soil is chalk and loam. Half the land was arable, one sixth permanent grass and a small amount woodland. It was formerly (in the fifteenth century) a market town with a weekly market and two fairs annually.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.80-81.


Acreage: 3117
Population 1801: 683
  1831: 865
  1861: 889

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 14, 15, 20, 21

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Hendred, East (1802 (Westmanside). See also Ardington) - Ref: D/P66/26A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Hendred, East (1802 (Westmanside). See also Ardington) - Ref: D/P66/26B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 19/09/2017.