The ancient burghal town of Hungerford lies twenty seven miles southwest of Reading. The parish included the hamlets of Eddington and Hungerford Newtown. It is on the River Kennet and the main road from London to Bath. Approximately half the land was arable, one fifth permanent grass and one tenth woodland. There was a weekly market and three fairs annually.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.84-86. 'Victoria County History: Wiltshire'.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 33, 41