Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Hurst

The straggling village (five miles long) of Hurst lies six miles from Reading, in Windsor Forest. The parish included the liberties of Whistley, Broad Hinton, Newland, and Winnersh, and the villages of Twyford and Bearwood. Part of the parish formed a detached portion of Wiltshire. The River Loddon forms the western boundary, and it is on the main road from Reading to Wokingham. The soil is alluvial, gravel and a small amount of clay. It was heavily wooded.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.88-89.


Acreage: 6898
Population 1801: 1609
  1831: 2169
  1861: 2640

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 30, 38, 46

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Hurst (1812) - Ref: Q/RDC/61A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Hurst (1812) - Ref: Q/RDC/61B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 12/12/2017.