The small village of West Ilsley lies eleven miles northwest of Newbury and two miles from the market town of East Ilsley, in a deep valley on the Downs. The soil is chalk. More than half the land was arable, over a third permanent grass, and a small amount woodland.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.91-92.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 20, 21