The large village (formerly a market town with two fairs annually) of Kintbury lies three and a half miles southeast of Hungerford. The parish included the hamlets of Clapton, Denford, and Elcot. It is on the main road from London to Bath, the River Kennet and the Kennet and Avon Canal. The soil is mostly chalk, with some gravel, clay and alluvium. Approximately half the land was permanent grass, slightly less than half arable, and a small amount woodland.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.95-97.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 33, 34, 41, 42