Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Midgham

The village of Midgham was a chapelry in Thatcham parish, lying seven miles east of Newbury in west Berkshire. The River Kennet forms part of the southern boundary and the Kennet and Avon Canal and the main road from Newbury to Reading pass through. The soil is clay and alluvium. Over half the land was permanent pasture, with small amounts of arable and woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.3-4, 162-165m 198-199.


Acreage: 1436
Population 1801: 340
  1831: 349
  1861: 233

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 35, 36, 43, 44

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Midgham (See Thatcham, Aldermaston, Woolhampton)

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 14/12/2017.