The market town and borough of Newbury lies seventeen miles west of Reading, in the extreme west of Berkshire. It is on the main road from London to Bath, the River Kennet and the Kennet and Avon Canal. The land was divided between arable, pasture and hay-marsh. There was an extremely large weekly corn market, the largest in the county. There were four fairs and a hiring market annually.
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.111-113.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 34, 35, 42, 43