Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Purley

The small village of Purley lies four miles northwest of Reading, in west Berkshire. The River Thames forms the northern and eastern boundaries. The soil is loam and gravel. Just over half the land was arable, nearly half permanent grass, and a small amount of woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.116-117.


Acreage: 874
Population 1801: 153
  1831: 172
  1861: 193

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 28, 29

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Purley (1856 (Purley, Sulham, & Whitchurch)) - Ref: Q/RDC/44A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Purley (1856 (Purley, Sulham, & Whitchurch)) - Ref: Q/RDC/44B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 22/06/2017.