Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Speen

The large village of Speen lies a mile and a half northwest of Newbury. The parish included the hamlets of Bagnor, Marsh Benham, Speenhamland (a suburb of Newbury), Stockcross and Woodspeen. The main road from London to Bath and the Rivers Kennet and Lambourn run through. The soil is varied, including chalk, clay, gravel, alluvium and peat. Nearly half the land was permanent pasture, nearly a quarter arable, and a small amount woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.143-145.


Acreage: 3862
Population 1801: 1747
  1831: 3044
  1861: 3311

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 34, 35, 42

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Speen (1738) - Ref: D/EZ80/17/1 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Speen (1738) - Ref: D/EZ80/17/1 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Speen (1780) - Ref: D/EZ80/18/1 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Speen (1780) - Ref: D/EZ80/18/2 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Speen (1780) - Ref: D/P116B/28/22/1 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Speen (1780) - Ref: Q/RDC/35A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 23/04/2017.