The scattered village of Stanford-in-the-Vale lies four miles southeast of Faringdon and five miles from Wantage, in the Vale of White Horse. The parish included the chapelry of Goosey. It is just off the main road from Faringdon to Wantage and on the River Ock. The soil is rich loam and clay. Nearly half the land was permanent grass, nearly one third arable and a small amount of water and woodland.
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) p.146.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 8, 9, 13