Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Steventon

Steventon lies four and a half miles southwest of Abingdon, in the Vale of White Horse. It is on the main road from Southampton to Oxford, and the Berks and Wilts Canal ran through. The soil is clay. Two thirds of the land was arable, between a third and a quarter permanent grass, and a small amount woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.147-148.


Acreage: 2401
Population 1801: 537
  1831: 691
  1861: 886

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 9, 10, 14, 15

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Steventon (1883. See also Ardington) - Ref: Q/RDC/81A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Steventon (1883. See also Ardington) - Ref: Q/RDC/81B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 14/12/2017.