The scattered village of Stratfield Mortimer lies eight miles south of Reading. The parish included the tithing of Wokefield. Part of the parish (Mortimer West End) was in Hampshire. The soil is gravel. Nearly half the land was arable, nearly half permanent grass, and a small amount woodland. There were two fairs annually.
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.148-150. Woodward, C., 'Early Enclosures in Stratfield Mortimer' article in Berkshire Old and New no.16 (1999)
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 44, 45