Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Sutton Courtenay

Sutton Courtenay lies two and a half miles southeast of Abingdon. The parish included the townships of Appleford and Sutton Wick. It is on the River Thames. The soil is clay, gravel and loam. Approximately two thirds of the land was arable and one third permanent grass.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.158-159.


Acreage: 4456
Population 1801: 1272
  1831: 1284
  1861: 1581

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 10, 15

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Sutton Courtenay (1804 (Sutton Courtenay & Sutton Wick)) - Ref: D/EX458/1 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Sutton Courtenay (1804 (Sutton Courtenay & Sutton Wick)) - Ref: D/EX458/2 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Sutton Courtenay (1804 (Sutton Courtenay & Sutton Wick)) - Ref: D/EX458/3 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Sutton Courtenay (1838 (Appleford)) - Ref: Q/RDC/86A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Sutton Courtenay (1838 (Appleford)) - Ref: Q/RDC/86B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 18/10/2017.