The hamlet of Theale was in the parish of Tilehurst, four and a half miles west of Reading. It is on the road from Reading to Newbury, and the River Kennet forms the southern boundary. The soil is clay, chalk and alluvium. Just over half the land was permanent grass, the remainder arable. See also Tilehurst for details.
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.166-167.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 36, 37
Theale (See Tilehurst)