The small village of Tilehurst lies three miles northwest of Reading. The extensive parish included the hamlets of Calcot and Theale. It is on the main roads from London to Bath and from Reading to Oxford, and the River Thames forms the northeastern boundary. The soil is clay, chalk and alluvium. Almost half the land was arable, almost half grassland, and a small amount woodland.
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.166-167. 'The Poor's Land Charity, Tilehurst, Berkshire: A history, with notes on the Tilehurst Inclosure Act 1811, the Award 1817 etc.', written for the trustees of the chairty (1999).
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 28, 29, 36, 37