Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Wargrave

Wargrave lies seven miles east of Reading, in Windsor Forest. The parish included the hamlets of Crazies Hill and Upper Culham. It is bounded by the Rivers Loddon and Thames, and is on the main road from London to Bath and the road from Reading to Henley-upon-Thames, Oxfordshire. The soil is alluvium, chalk and clay. More than half the land was grass, with a small amount of woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.182-185.


Acreage: 4461
Population 1801: 1134
  1831: 1423
  1861: 1806

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 23, 30

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Wargrave (1818) - Ref: CPC145/20/1 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Wargrave (1818) - Ref: CPC145/20/1 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 20/08/2017.