Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Welford

Welford lies six miles northwest of Newbury. The parish included the chapelry of Wickham and the hamlets of Easton, Hoe Benham, and Weston. It is on the River Lambourn and the River Kennet forms the southern boundary. The main road from London to Bath and roads to Newbury and Lambourn run through the parish. The soil is mostly chalky and clay, with some sand, gravel, peat and alluvium.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.186-189.


Acreage: 5228
Population 1801: 866
  1831: 1061
  1861: 1030

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 26, 34

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Welford (1820) - Ref: Q/RDC/32A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Welford (1820) - Ref: Q/RDC/32B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Welford (1820) - Ref: Q/RDC/32C [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 28/06/2017.