A large area of woodland and heath (much of it converted to agriculture by 1800), interspersed with small settlements, formerly a royal hunting forest, extending over much of east Berkshire and into northwest Surrey and south Buckinghamshire. The soil is mainly sand and clay, with some chalk in the north and gravel in river valleys. The Crown enjoyed extensive rights in the forest parishes. The Windsor Forest award deals with allotments to the Crown only; other allotments were made in the separate awards for Barkham, Binfield, Bray, Clewer, Easthampstead, Finchampstead, Newland in Hurst, Sandhurst, Sunninghill, Swallowfield, New Windsor, Old Windsor, Winkfield, Winnersh and Wokingham. Forest rights were extinguished by the enclosure.
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.xxii-xxiv, 57, 68, 89, 128, 156, 161. Commissioners on the state of Windsor Forest - second report 1809, with appendix 1809; third report 1809, with appendix 1809; fourth report 1810. 'Remarks on the nature & extent of Forestal Rights, and on the Reports of the Commissioners for enquiring into the state of Windsor Forest' (1810). Hughes, G.M., 'A History of Windsor Forest, Sunninghill and the Great Park' (1890)
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 30, 31, 32, 37, 38, 39, 40, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50