The market town and ancient borough of Wokingham lies seven miles east of Reading, on the edge of Windsor Forest. It is on the main road from Reading to London. The soil is a rich loam. Just under half the land was permanent grass, approximately one sixth was arable, and one eighth woodland. There was a weekly market and five fairs annually.
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.196-197. 'Victoria County History: Wiltshire'.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 38, 46